Laser Hair Reduction and Removal
Laser Hair Removal is an established method of treating unwanted and/or excess hair that could be the result of hirsutism, hypertrichosis or a general desire to improve one’s appearance. With the Cynosure Apogee Elite, PSAOM is able to offer a comprehensive selection of hair removal options for a range of specific hair or skin types. This device combines gold standard wavelengths in one system: the 755-nm Alexandrite laser and the 1064-nm Nd:YAG laser.
The classic 755-nm wavelength has high melanin absorption characteristics for dependable, repeatable and permanent hair reduction. It is ideal for treating unwanted hair in skin types I-III on the Fitzpatrick Scale.
The high-powered 1064-nm Nd:YAG is the ideal wavelength for permanent hair reduction on darker skin types and tanned skin. It is ideal for treating skin types IV-VI on the Fitzpatrick Scale or tanned skin.
Laser Hair Removal: Preparing for Treatment
Prior to treatment, our provider will work closely with you to develop an individualized treatment plan that best meets your needs. Test spots may be performed to determine the optimal energy and pulse duration for your skin type, treatment location, density and color of hair.
Am I a candidate for Laser Hair Removal?
Our specialist will determine if you are an ideal candidate. A few contraindications include but are not limited to:
- Tanned skin
- No epilation for 4-6 weeks
- Pregnant, given birth in the last 6 months or breastfeeding
- History of keloid scarring
- Undiagnosed menstrual dysfunction
- History of seizures
- Current medication contraindications
- Had Accutane within the last 6 months
- Open lesions
- Herpes/cold sores
- Use exfoliant products
- Have had Clarisonic within the past 2 weeks
- Received a neuromodulator (BOTOX, Dysport, Xeomin, etc.) and/or dermal filler (Juvéderm, Restylane, Radiesse, etc.) within the last 2 weeks
- Unprotected natural sun exposure, tanning bed, or sunless tanner within 4 weeks of treatments of being treated with the 755-nm wavelength laser
- Unprotected natural sun exposure, tanning bed, or sunless tanner within 3-7 days of treatment if being treated with the 1064-nm wavelength laser – prequestionnaire says 14 days, but Cynosure protocol says the above
Frequently Asked Questions
The treatment can last anywhere from 15 minutes up to 2 hours, depending on the treatment area.
The laser pulse is often described as a wave of heat with the sensation of a pinprick. A topical anesthetic may be applied if necessary. The SmartCool 6 cooling device is effective in reducing discomfort during laser treatment.
The most commonly treated areas include the lip, face, bikini, arms, underarms, back and legs
You could experience slight redness of the skin or mild swelling around the hair follicles, which are both very normal responses to the treatment and may last up to 24-48 hours post-treatment. The treated hairs can take 4-7 days to exfoliate and may appear to be “growing” during this time.
The duration of the hair growth cycle varies among body location being treated. The laser can only eliminate hair that is currently in the anagen growth phase. Multiple treatments are necessary over a span of 4-week intervals to remove hair from most areas. Hair removal on legs may require 6-8 week treatment intervals due to hair growth cycles. Any results may not be apparent for several months post-treatment. This treatment does NOT guarantee permanent hair removal.
Have a question? Ask!